TOMATO LENTIL SOUP: easy to make, dairy-free, gluten-free, vegan and absolutely delicious!
Updated: Dec 14, 2022
• 1 onion
• 1inch (2cm) knob of ginger
• 2 cloves garlic
• 1 cup (200 g) red lentils
• 2 carrots diced
• 1 can of coconut milk
• 800g (1 ¾ lbs; 28oz) fresh or frozen
tomatoes, or 1 jar of tomato passata
or a large can of crushed tomatoes
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 tablespoon of curry powder or garam masala
• 6 cups (1 .5 litres) water
• Salt, pepper and hot red chili flakes, to taste
• A squeeze of lemon or lime juice
1. Dice the onion, ginger, and garlic. Saute them in the olive oil.
2. Add the red lentils, diced carrots and curry powder or garam masala.
Continue to saute for a few more minutes.
3. Pour in the tomatoes, coconut milk and water. Add salt, pepper and hot red
chili flakes, to taste.
4. Simmer until the lentils are very soft and tender: this may take about ninety minutes.
5. Taste again for seasoning level and add a squeeze of lemon or lime before serving.